The Pros And Cons Of Online Fax
There are still many people who aren’t entirely sold on the whole internet fax idea. It is the sole purpose of this article to point out what the pros and cons of online faxing are.
Pros of online fax
- When you use an internet fax service you don’t have to worry about the charges that coincide with long distance faxing. Unlike common belief faxes sent to a different part of the country (or outside your area code) is more costly than a fax that is sent within the same town/area code.
- With fax to email you don’t need to purchase/rent an expensive fax machine.
- Your internet faxes are delivered to your email inbox.
- Internet faxing is inexpensive; as a matter of fact in some instances you may even receive free fax to email service.
- The fax to email service basically eliminates the time wasting exercise of waiting in a queue to use the fax machine.
- A traditional fax machine requires quite a bit of maintenance everything from regular service maintenance, to replacing toner and ink cartridges, not to mention the amount of fax paper that is used. You no longer have to use a fax machine, all of the above mentioned is eliminated.
- As mentioned above a lot of paper is used by fax machines. With online faxing you only print the faxes that you really need a hard copy of.
- Because less paper is consumed fewer trees are chopped down, thus saving entire forests. Any person or business using an internet fax facility will be doing their bit for the environment by reducing their own carbon footprint.
Cons of online fax
- Although the cons are few and far in between in the spirit of fair play they should be mentioned.
- All online faxes are sent to a web based server where they are converted into a more recognisable file format before they are sent to the intended party. With online faxing there is no way of knowing how secure the web based server really is.
- Another problem is that you don’t know how long your fax will be on the server.
- Online faxing may not be the best choice, when it comes to sensitive or confidential documents.
- You must have an internet connection.
- You must have a valid email address.
- In the event that your service provider is offline you will not be able to send or receive any faxes.
Clearly in this case the pros outweigh the cons, as an added bonus here is some tips on what to look for when choosing an online fax service.
- Look for a service provider that offers a free trial period. This is important it will give you a good idea of type of service they are offering which will ultimately help you decide.
- Depending on the type of business you have, you want to stay away from a free online fax service, mainly due to the fact that these free services tend to place ads on the front / back page of your fax. Some large corporations don’t take to kindly to this.
- If you tend to send faxes to different countries it may be a good idea to check that the service provider that you are considering offers a wide range global coverage.
- In addition if you receive a lot of faxes it is wise to opt for a service provider that will allow you to archive some of your faxes.
- Now that you have a better understanding of the pros and cons, not to mention what to look for in a service provider, you should be able to make an informed decision.